Are there different types of arborists?

An arborist usually focuses on caring for individual trees, often on private property. Arbolists can be divided into two broad categories; Practicing Arborists and Consultant Arborists. ISA-certified arborist examining a Japanese hemlock at the Hoyt Arboretum in Portland, Oregon. Most, if not all, consulting arborists are ISA-certified arbolists and many are members of the American Society of Consultant Arbolists (ASCA).

To become a member of ASCA, one must have at least five years of experience in arboriculture and a minimum of four years (or the equivalent) in arboriculture or a closely related field. Instead of a degree, ASCA members must be certified arborists with a minimum of 240 CEU. This is how I became a member of ASCA. One of the biggest differences between different types of tree service experts is the level and depth of education.

While anyone can technically label themselves as an “arborist”, only tree experts with the right training and qualifications can be called ISA-certified. There may be many companies in your area that provide tree services that call themselves arbolists, even if they don't have any official training. The International Society of Arboriculture program requires vigorous training, educational credits, experience and testing to enable tree professionals to earn the right to call themselves ISA-Certified Arbolists. Consultant arbolists may be certified and uncertified, but many have several years of experience in their field.

These professionals often write reports and solve complex tree problems. Learn more about TreeNewal ISA-certified arborists and how sustainable tree care services add more value to your bottom line. Trees and branches that are too large to handle from the ground should only be pruned by professional tree care services or arborists. It would be helpful to keep this information handy as you research and meet with several companies to determine what type of tree service you will hire to care for your trees.